Performancing Metrics

Thoughts of a Piece of Dust: Didn't we give them the games so this wouldn't happen?

Monday, February 11, 2008

Didn't we give them the games so this wouldn't happen?

Several years ago I remember watching the IOC give their decision on the 2008 Summer games and like many Canadians I was rather upset that Toronto lost the games to Beijing - a country that had only years earlier murdered several protesters (exact numbers are not known, but estimates range in the thousands) at a site we were told would be the venue for Beach Volleyball (I couldn't confirm this, and I think the location has since been switched).

We were told that part of the reason for giving the games to China was that there was hope that Human Rights abuses would decline (I can't give facts either way, but I am sure there is evidence here) in the communist (only by name) country. Perhaps progress is being made, and in that case I can fully accept the loss of the Olympics (ironically, I will be living closer to Beijing that to Toronto during the games) - especially when Toronto has its own problems to worry about.

What is troubling for me today is a recent news article I read about the UK Olympic team on the CNN website (and a similar article I found on the BBC website). The article states (not very clearly) that athletes are being pursuaded to sign a contract forbidding them to speak out on human rights abuses - though I believe they are allowed to answer questions on the issue.

This baffles my mind. We give China the games in hope that they improve their human rights, and then we silence some of the most visible people at the games when it comes to that very subject. I realize there are many athletes there who will censor themselves without any contract because they either a) don't realize the extent of the issue or b) don't care enough to speak out even for their fellow athletes who are living and training in China. I do know there are likely some who will speak out (and even the BBC article stated that Canada, the U.S. and Australia are allowed to speak freely) and perhaps even make progress.

Despite this small setback, I think there are many people (hey, I may even be one of them) who are in Beijing during those two weeks in August specifically highlighting human rights abuses. China's reactions will surely be muted on this grand stage during these two weeks. They definitely do not want to be embarrased when the whole world is watching.

No comments: