Performancing Metrics

Thoughts of a Piece of Dust: Stuff, Stuff and More Stuff

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Stuff, Stuff and More Stuff


Recently (in the last week), I moved from Victoria to Hamilton. This proved a significant challenge for me and my way of life. In the almost four and a half years I was living in Victoria, I accumulated a great deal of items and have had to deal with this stuff in the last few weeks.

It really did amaze (scare) me that I had so much stuff to call my own. Most of it was worthless to me, but I still hung onto it for the possibility that one day it might become useful. For example: in our townhouse, we had two couches (as well as many chairs). One of those couches was rarely used (and in fact a whole section of the living room was left untouched for weeks or months at a time). Yet I still kept this couch.

When moving time came many decisions were made that I am not necessarily happy I had to make. Since I did get most of the furniture and other items for free, I didn't really have a problem giving them away (and in some cases I made a bit of money to help with the costs of moving). What really got to me was the widespread use of the dumpster. So much of this stuff (which was probably useful to someone) was left in the dumpster (legally) in my townhouse complex. We managed to get a good deal to Big Brothers and the Salvation Army, but too much was wasted.

I guess I write this not to express my guilt (for I surely am guilty) but to urge the rest of you not to accumulate so much. If this process of having to decide what is important has taught me anything, it's that most of the stuff around us is irrelevant. Sure, some of it is necessary (a bed, clothes, and some other items), but most of it is only a burden and will eventually turn into a big task.

I suppose I should have started sorting through things earlier and perhaps less would be wasted and end up in a landfill, but even if that happens, most stuff will end up in a landfill when we're done with it. With the exception of my compost (let's just say it went back to nature) everything I threw out will likely be rotting away for years to come, to be useless to pretty much everything around us.

So don't buy stuff you don't need. You'll save money, clutter and future stress.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i second that

Unknown said...

I'm here to give my testimony how I was cured from HIV, I contacted my HIV via blade. A friend of my use blade to peel of her finger nails and drop it where she use it, so after she has left i did know what came unto me i looked at my nails, my nails were very long and I took the blade which she just used on her own nails to cut of my finger nails, as i was maintaining my names, i mistakenly injured myself. I did even bother about it, so when I got to the hospital the next week when i was ill the doctor told me that I am HIV positive, i wondered where did i got it from so i remembered how I use my friend blade to cut off my hand so i feel so sad in my heart to the extent that i don’t even know what to do, so one day i was passing through the internet i met a testimony of a lady that all talk about how she was cured by a doctor called DR Imoloa so i quickly emailed the doctor and he also replied to me and told me the requirements which i will provide and I do according to his command, he prepare a herbal medicine for me which I took. He message me the following week that i should go for a test which i did to my own surprise i found that i was HIV negative. He also have cured for all kinds of incurable diseases like: Huntington's disease, back acne, chronic kidney failure, Addison's disease, Chronic Disease, Crohn's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Fibromyalgia, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Fungal Nail Disease, Paralysis, Celia Disease , Lymphoma, Major Depression, Malignant Melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's Disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis, Multiple Sclerosis, Muscle Dystrophy, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer Disease and so many. Thanks to him once more the great doctor that cured me dr. Imoloa so you can also email him via drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com or what'sapp him on +2347081986098.. God Bless you Sir.