Performancing Metrics

Thoughts of a Piece of Dust: A Quote

Thursday, May 03, 2012

A Quote

When I was quite small I would sometimes dream of a city - which was strange becuase it began before I even knew what a city was.  But this city, clustered on the curve of a big blue bay, would come into my mind.  I could see the streets, and the buildings that lined them, the waterfront, even boats in the harbour; yet, waking, I had never seen the sea, or a boat...

And the buildings were quite unlike any I knew.  The traffic in the streets was strange, carts running with no horses to pull them; and sometimes there were things in the sky, shiny fish-shaped things that certainly were not birds.

Most often I would see this wonderful place by daylight, but occasionally it was by night when the lights lay like strings of glow-worms along the shore, and a few of them seemed to be sparks drifting on the water, or in the air.

It was a beautiful, fascinating place[...]

The Chrysalids, John Wyndham


No comments: