Performancing Metrics

Thoughts of a Piece of Dust: You've got to be kidding me!

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

You've got to be kidding me!

I was going to post about ANZAC day today but 1) I didn't have the time, and 2) I noticed this article online. Now, it's just a normal article reporting on a normal occurance in the NBA.  But what struck me as odd - and no doubt if you read it the same thing happened to you - is the name of the player:

Metta World Peace.  No, you're not reading that wrong.  That's a name.  First name: Metta.  Surname: World Peace.  It took me a quick wikipedia search to figure out who it used to be (Ron Artest, though that name may not mean much to most people) and find out the reason.

Now, I thought Chad Ochocinco changing his name was a bit funny (though also incorrect, as far as I know; he's number eighty five not number eight five), but this is bordering on the ridiculous, especially for a player who was "at the center of an altercation among players and fans during a game," (quote from Wikipedia).

Watch what happened here:


To be fair, it was obvious he was provoked into the whole thing, but as a professional you have to show restraint (I think the commentators even say as much), and his going into the stands pretty much turned that into a riot.  World Peace indeed, but maybe he's changed.

No comments: