Performancing Metrics

Thoughts of a Piece of Dust: Bus Story: The Lively Man

Friday, June 15, 2007

Bus Story: The Lively Man

For those of you who have seen Cocoon this story sounds like something right out of the movie. Here's what happened:

Last night I was taking the bus home late in the evening (about 9:45 or so). There was an elderly gentleman on my bus who was standing up at the front of the bus (there were seats he could sit in, but he seemed to enjoy standing there). At first I thought he was talking to the bus driver (to be honest I had music in my ears) but then he started to get a bit active. He walked from side to side.

Soon he was holding himself up on the bars that run the length of the bus. Soon he started doing chin-ups (at least what I thought were chin-ups, he didn't really pull his chin over the bar - but considering there is not much room above the bar and his age, I was pretty impressed). I looked around and didn't really see anyone paying attention to him (at this point what he was doing wasn't that obvious).

So I started thinking that maybe he's got a bit of energy and was excited about something. But it didn't stop at the chin-ups. He eventually started holding on to the bar and then bringing his feet up as high as he could. At first it wasn't high, but eventually it got to about the height of the bar. Again, I looked around (with a noticeable grin on my face) and saw a few people pay attention (though many were obviously making an effort to ignore it - an interesting bit of social interactions - makes me think of some interesting social experiments I could do...).

It wasn't until he started swinging back and forth (with each arm on different bars) that I realized I had my cell phone - which has a camera - on me. I took it out to try to get a picture (which drew at least one grin from a fellow passenger), but he got off as soon as I got it picture ready.

So that's my story. To make things even weirer, the guy kind of resembled Don Ameche in Cocoon (in actions and in appearance).

I think I could start a blog writing about my bus experiences (I think I should post my poem about buses that I wrote as an example for my class.... perhaps another day).

I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed seeing it. Isn't life full of wonderful things?

No comments: