Performancing Metrics

Thoughts of a Piece of Dust: Countdown of My Favourite Children's Books: Honourable Mentions

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Countdown of My Favourite Children's Books: Honourable Mentions

About a month and a half ago, I finished a countdown of my ten favourite children's books. Then I promised I would give you some that are good, but just missed the list. After a long wait, here they are (in no particular order):

Stephanie's Ponytail (Robert Munsch): a great story about individuality - and a really funny ending! Check out the link it has a cute story in it. Also, as a side note, I have a friend (maybe she reads my blog) who was given a copy of this book but someone replaced all the "Stephanie"s with her name.

Curious George Series (Maragaret and H.A. Rey): If you haven't heard of Curious George and the Man with the Yellow Hat, I suggest you go to the library. If you have heard of them, you know why this is here.

The King's Stilts (Dr. Seuss): Not one of his better known books, but one that was read to me a lot in childhood. Moral of the story: if you're going to work hard, make sure you take some relaxation time (and don't build your city where the only thing holding back the ocean is a bunch of trees that birds like to eat).

Babar Series (Jean de Brunhoff)
: Originally from France, Babar is an elephant who has wonderful adventures. How can you not like that? Well, though the stories are great, check out the section "Criticism" in the Wikipedia article I linked to above. Apparently Babar is about more than just elephants...

Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel (Virginia Lee Burton): I only put this here because I remember this book from my childhood. Reading this as an adult, this seems to promote development of the land (without any concern for the animals, environment, etc.). But the story does redeem itself with it's ending (sort of).

That's all I could really think of off the top of my head. Does anyone out there have any other great children's books they want to share? If so please do...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two comments - Babar is great, it was a TV show too, very good.
Second, there are two Curious George treasury type things that you can buy. They each are hardcover (one red and one blue) and they have I think 9 stories in them and they only cost $15 or so.

Carly

thefuzzymethod said...

speaking of your favourite books, have you seen this yet?

Anonymous said...

You have to express more your opinion to attract more readers, because just a video or plain text without any personal approach is not that valuable. But it is just form my point of view