Performancing Metrics

Thoughts of a Piece of Dust: Speaking a Foreign Language in England

Saturday, April 07, 2012

Speaking a Foreign Language in England

In my roughly two years in England, I had my fair share of embarrassments, misunderstandings and frustrations due to the fact that the word I said did not have the same meaning to me as it did to the people who I was speaking to. I'm sure you're all familiar with words like lift, lorry and loo, but alliteration aside there are quite a few differences between Canadian (or American) English and British English. I've searched my memory for a few days now and with the help of Wikipedia to fill in some of the gaps and remind me, I've made a useful list of words to help you on your way if you ever do decide to visit the old country. Words with one asterix (*) indicate mixups that are potentially embarrassing and words with two (**) indicate words that SHOULD be obvious, but are just added in to make it look like I did more work.

Canadian

British

Aubergines

Eggplants

Bin

Trash Can (don't confuse with recycling bin!)

Biscuit

Cookie**

(To) blag

(To) make something up (bluff)

(To) blank – (To) ignore (someone)

(To) ignore (someone)

Boot

Trunk

Chips

French Fries

Crisps

Potato Chips

Corridor

Hall(way)

Courgettes

Zucchini (why use English when you can use French?)

Dinner

Lunch (???)

Fete (pronounced fate)

Party

Full Stop

Period*

Hall

Gymnasium

Ice Lolly

Popsicle

Kit

Athletic Clothing (uniform)

Ladybird

Ladybug (it's not a bird, is it?)

Lead

Cord

Lift

Elevator**

Lolly

Any candy on a stick (lollypop)

Lorry

Truck

Motoroway

Highway

Nappy

Diaper

Off-License

Liquor Store

Pudding

Dessert

Pants

Underwear*

Pavement

Sidewalk

Plaster

Band Aid

Pushchair

Stroller

Queue

Line (though they never make them properly)

Row (rhymes with cow)

Argument

Rubber

Eraser*

Rubbish

Garbage**

SatNav

GPS

Sellotape

Scotch Tape

Subway

Underground Walkway (not the trains)

Suspenders

Garter Belt*

Sweets

Candy

Swimming Costume

Bathing Suit

Tea

Snack

Tipp-Ex

White Out

Toilet

Washroom (the actual room)**

Torch

Flashlight

Trousers

Pants**

Vest

Tank Top (also, running single)

Do the washing up

Do the dishes

Washing Up Liquid

Dish Soap

Wellies

Rubber Boots

No comments: