Performancing Metrics

Thoughts of a Piece of Dust: Featured Musician: The New Amsterdams

Monday, March 26, 2007

Featured Musician: The New Amsterdams

While reading this post, keep in mind I have never really written about music before, and don't really follow any mp3 blogs (except my sister's – which hasn't been updated since November 2006).


Back in December I pestered my sister for any good music she had and she gave me quite a few CD's to listen to. Of those I found several to my liking, including The New Amsterdams' Worse for the Wear. I had never heard of the band before, but the music spoke to me and had a nice feel to it. I think a big part of my liking of them is their use of a piano and strong beats. The two features combine to create songs that feel classy and fun at the same time.


The disc is filled with many great tracks, including my personal favourites: “Hover Near Fame,” “From California,” and “Hanging on for Hope,” “Poison in the Ink,” and “All Our Vice.” As with any music, whether you like it will depend upon your tastes (and there are tracks on the CD that I think are not as great as the others), but there is a chance you will find some songs that you enjoy.


So who are they and what's up with them? When I had first heard them sing I had thought the singer sounded familiar. It turns out, the lead singer, Matthew Pryor, is the former lead singer of The Get Up Kids. The band is from Lawrence, Kansas and has been around since 2000. Worse for the Wear is actually their third (of five) albums. When doing research for this entry I found information about their upcoming album, Killed or Cured (due out April 10th). They have several of their tracks available for listening for free (yay for free music!) on their myspace page. I gave the four available tracks a spin on my computer and I'd have to say I am fairly impressed. I enjoyed both “Strangled by the Thought” and “Heaven Sent” the most.


Here are some other places you can read about them:


Try out the free tracks on their website and let me know what you think. If you want to purchase their CD's, please look for them online (sorry, I don't really do this, so I wouldn't know which sites are best – if anyone wants to make recommendations they would be more than welcomed), or buy them from a locally owned Music Store.

I hope you can enjoy The New Amsterdams as much as I do.

1 comment:

thefuzzymethod said...

the blog isn't dead...just sleeping. because i have no time between work and school to keep the thing up (you'll see, it start off fun and easy, and then it becomes real work!) enjoy this fun starting time while you can (and let me know if you need anything)