Performancing Metrics

Thoughts of a Piece of Dust: Movie Review: Blood Diamond

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Movie Review: Blood Diamond

About a year and a half ago, everyone in my program was getting engaged and showing off their rings in class. When I saw Blood Diamond, I wish I had the knowledge that movie gave me at that time. I would have asked them if their diamonds are conflict free. (You must be thinking I like to stir the pot. I sure do.)

The issue that envelops Blood Diamond, is that of conflict diamonds (also known as war diamonds). These are diamonds that come from war zones. The money "earned" from selling these diamonds helps fuel the wars and contributes to people killing more people.

The three main characters (well, two really) are played by Leonardo DiCaprio (sporting a South African accent) and Djimon Hounsou (of Amistad, Gladiator and The Island). DiCaprio plays a diamond smuggler and Hounsou plays a fisherman who has discovered a rather large diamond. Somehow the two cross paths and finding the diamond becomes a priority for them together. Jennifer Connelly (Labrynth) plays a journalist who helps them out.

This movie is full of scenes that will make you wonder how people could be capable of such things. The scenes with the child soldiers are terrifying and will definitely take some of your innocence (ignorance?).

Blood Diamond is definitely a must see. It will definitely make you think twice about buying diamonds. I give this a 3.75/4: near perfect (the romantic interest takes a bit away from the whole message of the movie, but otherwise it is a well made film).

As a side note, I realize I missed posting for the first day since I started yesterday. I actually have about 5 more movie reviews to do from this week, but things have been very busy and when they've not been busy I've been exhausted. Soon my busyness will be over. And then I can really work on this blog...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike,
I'm so glad you saw this movie. I just (re) watched it on Monday with my mom (yay for cheap previously viewed DVD's!). It totally got me thinking about why I study what I do etc... so I'm glad that you are informing your readers about such an important topic. Check out "GuluWalk" (just type it into your search engine) for some more info about child soldiers - although this site in particular is about the situation in Northern Uganda where the LRA (Lord's Resistance Army) is active. Also something of a strange coincidence (maybe), Monday was the day that Charles Taylor's trial started at the Hague - which, by the way, he is boycotting. Charles Taylor of course was the leader of Liberia during the war in Sierra Leone on which the movie was based. The BBC news website has lots of interesting information on his trial which really is setting an amazing precedent for future Human Rights tribunals. Hopefully you have a chance to check it out!
Later!
Aliez