Performancing Metrics

Thoughts of a Piece of Dust: Movie Review: World Trade Center

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Movie Review: World Trade Center

Normally I wouldn't watch a movie like this, especially since there are so many angles to the subject that are often used to advance a cause or start a war. I will admit that I was curious. It's one of those things that you think might be filled with fluff but you wonder if it might actually be good.

Surprisingly I found that the filmmakers of World Trade Center did a very good job in some aspects of their film. Unless you have been living under a rock, you know what this movie is about, and even if you don't quite know the specifics you know what is happening, just like in Titanic. That's the mindframe I went in with: I know it's going to happen. As prepared as I was to see it (as depicted by Hollywood), the film really captures the confusion and horror of the moments when no one really knew what was going on (and no one was using that confusion and horror to further their own causes).

The film tells the true story of John McLoughlin (Nicolas Cage) and Will Jimeno (Michael Pena), two Port Authority Police Officers who were trapped in the rubble of the World Trade Center after the first tower collapsed.

The bewilderment of many of the characters is very evident they are fully believable (and there are moments when you say to yourself that probably actually happened). The movie does drag on for a while and seems to be going nowhere, especially since the outcome is never really in doubt.

The last half aside, this movie definitely does what (I thought) it was supposed to do, and that is to remind us of the impact that morning had on all of us. I know I remember where I was when I found out and I bet you do too. I think that with all the political fallout and what has happened since that day, it is important to look back on when we were innocent. This movie does just that.

I give this movie 3.5/5. Though I did talk very good about it, it dragged on and seemed to be a very patriotic movie. I thought that took away from the message that was trying to get out.

Though I was wondering about this movie, I am not curious to see United 93, so you're gonna have to read a review of that somewhere else.

No comments: