Performancing Metrics

Thoughts of a Piece of Dust: Nutritional Data Revisited

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Nutritional Data Revisited

A few weeks ago I talked about a site that gives you nutritional data for many different foods. I came across an article this week that was related.

Apparently, a Canadian researcher has found that some foods have more fat than some of their labels suggest. Read the article from CBC here. The researcher, Bruce Holub, has found that 15% of the foods he tested had more than the legal limit (the limit being based on what is printed on the packages). Though no brands were identified by Holub, the article says that frozen fish sticks and frozen waffles were the biggest offenders.

It seems as if this controversy comes from pre-packed food. Personally I would not be surprised to find out that the labels were innacurate. That's why I try (sometimes I'm not strong enough) to avoid prepackaged food. It's not really all that healthy for you (especially frozen fish sticks and frozen waffles), and it's more expensive (though organic food is pretty pricey too).

I'm not really sure the point I'm trying to make with this post. I guess I'm trying to make you aware of the possibility that nutrition labels might not always be accurate (the law allows for a 20% variation from the label - which is pretty large if you think about it). Always be mindful of what you eat though and don't always trust the label!

No comments: