Performancing Metrics

Thoughts of a Piece of Dust: Movie Review: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Movie Review: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

I have been recently trying to view the movies that are typically viewed as classics and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is apparently one of those movies. This movie was definitely not the best movie I've seen, but it had it's good qualities and is better than most of the Hollywood garbage we get these days (though I have seen many excellent movies made in the last few years).

The moviel, which won Best Picture in the 1976 Oscars, centers around Randall Patrick McMurphy (Jack Nicholson) who finds himself in a mental institution because he has been causing trouble in Jail. He is left in the ward under observation and his response is to try to stir things up with the patients. He does quite a good job and the orderly ward turns into a chaotic ward.

The acting is superb and I was surprised to find that many great actors started their careers in this film, including Danny DeVito, Christopher Lloyd and Brad Dourif. Everyone is convincing as mental patients, though some of the guards do some questionable actions. There are also some compelling characters (Will Sampson as Chief comes to mind).

As one watches this movie, you start to try to figure out if McMurphy is in fact crazy or if he's just causing trouble. I never came to any conclusions myself by the time the movie ended.

I liked the movie though I found it somewhat disturbing at points. I would recommend it to all just because it has garnered so much praise. I give it a 4/5. Good, but not great.