Performancing Metrics

Thoughts of a Piece of Dust: Movie Review: Raising Arizona

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Movie Review: Raising Arizona

Raising Arizona is one of those movies that you never really hear about, but it's on a lot of lists of great movies, so I thought I would watch it and find out for myself. I was pleasantly surprised, though at times I found the movie difficult to watch.

Starring Nicolas Cage and Holly Hunter, Raising Arizona is about a couple (a paroled criminal and a police officer) who get married and find out they are unable to have babies. In a hysterical rage, H.I. (Cage) is convinced to steal one baby from a recently born set of quintuplets. A manhunt thus ensues.

I found it very hard to be sympathetic to any of the characters and I think the filmmakers did that on purpose. For a while I was trying to figure out what made this movie so good. Then came a ridiculous and hilarious chase scene through stores, houses and streets in an (unsuccessful) attempt to get "Huggies" (product placement is quite evident throughout the movie). There are several such sequences that are so unbelievable that they'll make you laugh. The movie does end with your typical Hollywood ending (though what that is, is hard to tell during the movie). Overall, this is definitely a good watch. Written and directed by the Coen brothers (Ethan and Joel of Fargo fame), the film also stars John Goodman and Frances McDormand.

I give this movie a 4.5/5. It doesn't seem like a great movie, but it will definitely make you laugh (and make you disgusted with the lengths some people will go to). Check it out and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!