Performancing Metrics

Thoughts of a Piece of Dust: Sunbird: The Firefox of Calendars

Friday, May 11, 2007

Sunbird: The Firefox of Calendars

In continuing my look at Open Source Software that I find to be useful (and in many cases I can't live without), I've decided to talk about Mozilla Sunbird, a neat calendar you can get for your computer.

I first got it a while ago and didn't really start using it, but when I started my most recent practicum (the one I'm doing right now and the one that is making it harder for me to keep the posts at a high level of quality) I started using it much more. Teachers take note: this is a great way to make a day book. I have actually been using Sunbird to do all of my planning.

Some features that I find useful. You can make multiple calendars to put on the calendar. So what does this mean for you? You can make a calendar for Work, Home, School, etc. or for each of your family members, and each can be in a different colour. I have about 10 or 15 calendars for different aspects of my life and can click one or another off very easily.

The actual events that you put in the calendar have a lot of space to write a description (this is where I put my plans). I have barely begun to scratch the surface of what this program can do (and expect an updated version in a few months as well!).

Like Firefox, Sunbird can also be customized and is starting to get a nice assortment of extensions and themes. The pickings are slim right now, but once Sunbird goes through more development there will likely be a lot of enhancements.

Read more about it at Wikipedia if you're interested.

No comments: