Performancing Metrics

Thoughts of a Piece of Dust: Featured Musician: The Junior Varsity

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Featured Musician: The Junior Varsity

Like the last band I profiled, The Junior Varsity was unknown to me until my sister lent me their CD, Wide Eyed. I gave the CD a spin and was impressed (my sister apparently knows me very well when it comes to what I like in music). I'm glad that this great music was brought to my attention and it's my goal to bring this to your attention now.

The band hails from Normal, Illinois and has been around since 2002. Wide Eyed is actually the band's third album (after The Junior Varsity and The Great Compromise). They have participated in the Warper Tour in both 2005 and 2006 and are featured in two video games: MVP 06 NCAA Basketball and Amped 3 for XBox 360. They have been with Victory Records, a 'leading Chicago-based independent label" since 2004

According to their blog, they have just finished recording a new CD, Cinematographic, which will be released on June 19th, 2007. Their myspace page has a few songs that you can download,or listen to, including one of my favourites: Get Comfortable. Though not on their page to listen to, another of my favourite songs is When We Meet Aliens... A lot of their songs have some slower lyrics on top of some active guitars. They make use of harmony a lot which can be rather pleasing on the ears at times.

More information about the band can be found at Pure Volume and All Music. Check out those pages and listen to their music. You may like what you hear and perhaps you'll want to purchase their album (from a local record store of course) when it comes out in June.

No comments: