Performancing Metrics

Thoughts of a Piece of Dust: Friday the 13th

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Friday the 13th

Yes, I know this has nothing to do with food. Sue me.

I thought that since this was such a special day I would mention two phobias surrounding the number thirteen and Friday the 13th.

Triskaidekaphobia: this is the fear of the number 13. Most people know that 13 is considered an unlucky number. This Wikipedia article mentions a few possible origins but I am still unconvinced. Some of the explanations include: the fact that Judas was the 13th person to sit down at the table during the Last Supper and that 13 is one more than 12 (which can be divided by 2, 3, 4, and 6 - I'm not sure what that has to do with bad luck).

Paraskavedekatriaphobia: this is the fear of Friday the 13th. This Wikipedia article discusses possible origins as well. Personally I have had bad luck on Friday the 13th. It was back in December of 2002 that I broke two bones in my foot while running (it was a freak accident). I doubt that had anything to do with the fact that it was Friday the 13th though.

This is turning into a really short post. If I find some time later in the day, I will actually make a post about something food related! I hope this was educational.

No comments: