Performancing Metrics

Thoughts of a Piece of Dust: Songbird: A Media Player for the Future

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Songbird: A Media Player for the Future

This being Monday, it's time for another post relating to Music. I thought that instead of talking about a band (like I did last week), I would talk about a program that will help you enjoy your music better than any other program out there. The program I am talking about is called Songbird. What's that you ask? Well, it's currently in development and the available version of the program is not that great, though it does appear that it will be the Firefox of media players once the final full version is released (one day I'll do a long post explaining what Open Source Software is).


So what makes this media player so special? For starters it does the same things that iTunes and Windows Media Player do. The big change is that it is something of a web browser itself. The player comes complete with links to well known mp3 blogs and a feature to download the music right into your library without having to open a new window.


Like Firefox, Songbird supports add-ons and already has many written for the program already, including a way to use your ipod with the player. The player is currently going through the developmental stages, but you can download a simple version of the player to try it out. I have this version and it's not quite up to par with Winamp or Windows Media Player, but it promises to be quite a bit better than both.


So if the program isn't finished quite yet, why would I talk about it? So that all of my readers are on the cutting edge of course! If you want a more detailed explanation of the features of this media player, check out the video they made. I'm just waiting for some features to be updated in new versions (like a play count, and maybe even the non-crucial album art) before I make the switch.


Check it out and keep your ears open for it to be released in a better version. No doubt if you keep following this blog, I'll let you know when something big happens.

No comments: