Performancing Metrics

Thoughts of a Piece of Dust: Problem of the Day: Part I

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Problem of the Day: Part I

Being a teacher, I have several “Problem of the Day” lists and I thought I could do some sort of contest on my blog. This is how it will work. Each Tuesday I will post a question on the blog. Anyone who thinks they know the answer can guess what the answer is. The first person to get the right answer each week will get one point (or one point for each question asked). I will keep a running total within the blog (I may even post it on the sidebar if you're lucky) and at the end of a few months I will give a prize to whomever is leading. You will need to mention your name when posting your responses. Since this will be a long running contest, I will have to think of a good prize. I will work on that, but I wanted to get the contest started this week. So here is the first problem:


We start with patterns. The following letters and numbers represent a logical sequence. It is your job to figure out what that sequence is and to give me the next two letters. I am giving three problems this week, so three points are up for grabs.


  1. o, t, t, f, f, s, ____, ____

  2. j, f, m, a, m, j, ____, ____

  3. 8, 5, 4, 9, 1, 7, ____, ____


Please explain how you came up with the answers or you won't get the points.


Good luck!

7 comments:

thefuzzymethod said...

1. s, e (first letter of the numbers one-eight)
2. j, a (first letter of the months of the year, january-august)
3. 2, 3 (first letter of the numbers 1-9, in alphabetical order)

(am i even allowed to participate in this??)

Michael D said...

That was quick! You have 2/3 right for two points. The third point is still up for grabs.

Anonymous said...

Ok, this is kind of unfair because I looked at those answers and #3 should be 6,3 based on the reasoning of the previous poster.

Carly

Michael D said...

That's not unfair... one point for Carly.

By the way, there is one more answer I would accept for #3. Can you figure out what it is???

Anonymous said...

Do I get another point if I do?

Carly

Michael D said...

Yes. Or if someone else beats you to it.

Anonymous said...

Is it just 6, 10?
because ten is alphabetically before three?

Carly